Wednesday, March 22, 2006

spoolsv.exe

The Lady's computer keeps freezing up. It is a Compaq, less than a year old, and when I open the task manager, a program called spoolsv.exe is using all the available memory.

I've tried everything I know, uninstalled programs, tried to adjust settings, gone back to an earlier restore point. Nothing works yet. I know that spooler programs are used in conjunction with printers, but I'm wondering if there is something I am missing.

Compaq tech support ain't a lot of help. Anyone out there have any ideas?

Update: Something called Microsoft Office Image Writer had a print job pending. A demo page. Why the hell it didn't print the damned page is beyond me, (what with a perfectly good printer hooked to the printer port)? As it turns out, there was also a fax pending. A fax? Okay, fine. That got deleted too. Anyway, the machine is better now, running at a small percentage of available memory. It's fixed.

1 comment:

Rivrdog said...

Yeah, spoolsv.exe is the operating system of your print server, and when the print cache fills up, or some other reason to stall the printer, spoolsv.exe just grabs more and more RAM until it either overpowers the cashing problem or stalls the entire OS.

More horseshit from microshit