Friday, September 29, 2023

Forgotten Rifles

 I was looking though the gun locker the other day, and noticed something I didn't immediately recognize.  My old Winchester 94.  It's been a while since I had the old gal out, probably 10 or 12 years, so I took it out and marveled at it for a bit.  I'd like to tell you that it is some old pre-64, but it's not.  My version is what Winchester called the Antique.  Mine was made, as far as I can tell, in 1965 and it has stamped parts. It's in .30-30, a quite common caliber for this rifle.

I made a couple of changes to it.  I cut down the stock an inch or so, and added a recoil pad.  I took out the old spring-leaf rear sight and added a Williams FP rear sight.  Mine still has the original bead front sight. I added a saddle right because a single-point sling makes a lot of sense on a light carbine.


It's light, handy, and puts a 170 grain bullet where I want it at 100 yards. Obsolete by today's standards, it still fills a niche.  The ammo is not as common as it once was, but it is still available and it is easy to reload for.  Every manual has a page on the .30-30 and a variety of powers will make it easy to find something that works.

The little rifle has been cleaned and oiled, and now she is back in the case.  I'll have to get her out to the range before long and have a little fun with a grand little rifle.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yep, I need to do the same with mine.

Anonymous said...

One of my biggest firearm regrets was not purchasing a Trapper length (16") 30-30 Winchester way back before Winchesters became so collectible. I was extremely fortunate to purchase a .357 Magnum Trapper though.

I think it would be a good idea and take it for a stroll during deer season.