Saturday, September 16, 2023

Changing Horses

 It's mid-September and the weather is beginning to moderate.  Generally this time of year, I switch horses. My normal, go-to hot weather cocktail is a simple vodka and tonic.  Crisp, refresing, it suits the season.  But, as the weather begins to change I switch to bourbon.  Generally with cola.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy a fancier drink from time to time. As the weather gets cooler, I'll be motivated to make my homemade Irish cream and my homemade coffee liqueur.  For the holidays.

But, tonight I've switched from vodka to bourbon.  I prefer bottled-in-bond bourbon as my standard afternoon cocktail bourbon.  For those unaware, a quick review might be in order.

The Bottled-in-Bond Act of 1897 stipulates that whiskeys designed Bottled-in-Bond must be produced at the same distillery by the same distiller within the same distilling season, whether it be fall or spring. It must then be aged for at least four years in a federally bonded warehouse under federal government supervision, then cut and bottled at exactly 100 proof.

Bottled-in-bond does not guarantee quality. It does guarantee authenticity against a measurables standard.

My standard BIB whiskey is Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond.  Locally, it's readily available and relatively inexpensive.  A 1500 ml bottle is $30.00.  Not bad for good hooch.

Everybody has to believe in something, and I believe I'll have a drink.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Delighted to find another Evan Williams fan. I backed into Evan when the liquor store ran outta Ezra Brooks.

Great stuff at the price/ taste ratio I can afford.

Old NFO said...

Enjoy!

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

Yes, tonic has great merit in repelling malaria.

Did it work again this summer? Are you still free of malaria?

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed everything I have tried from Chattanooga Distillery. They are a small independent distillery in, surprise, Chattanooga, TN.