Friday, February 24, 2023

Random Friday

Belle has been watching cooking videos and she says that a convection oven works the same way that an air fryer works.  I'm not going to argue with her because I know nothing about air fryers.  But, we do have a convection oven, and if she is correct I should be able to air fry a turkey in the oven.  More research is necessary.

I was Googling five-star officers today and stumbled across a name I had never heard of.  I know that Bradley and Arnold, and MacArthur, and King, and Ike and that bunch were five-star officers, but I had never heard of William D Leahy.  Evidently, he was quite the sailor-man, but pretty much let the other folks take the limelight.  My education is now a bit more complete.

Anon said in a comment

I've always understood that "gamey" taste is from meat poorly handled and going bad, so prompt cooling and keeping it cool makes a big difference.

That is generally true, but some animals have musk glands that mist be excised before cooking.  Raccoon, for example.  And some animals eat things that impart a foul taste.  Lile the hogs in LaSalle parish, LA.  Belle calls them piney-woods rooters and refuses to let me bring them home.  She says that if she wants to eat turpentine, she will take it right out of the bottle.  It's true.  The hogs I've eaten out of the pine forest generally taste like pine.

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

Leahy was the 'power' behind both Roosevelt and Truman dealing with the military.

Anonymous said...

There was a class of guided missile cruisers named after him, CG-16 Leahy class. Nine built, all decommissioned from the USN.
Jim

Anonymous said...

Google keeps logging me out, so my comments are unsigned these days, sorry about that.
Jonathan

Matthew W said...

"Gamey" meat.
Goat is gunna taste like goat !!!

Anonymous said...

Theres a rumor that the best tasting pork on the planet are these spanish hogs that get fattened up on acorns or some some other tree nut.... a buddy of mine raised piglets as a youth for his father. They kept a couple for their freezer every year, grew their own feed corn to give to the hogs to grow them out. Said it was the best ever.
I've read lots lately about particular cross breeds (Berkshire crosses) that are supposed to be the ticket to heavenly pork.
Admittedly I am tempted to get some hogs and find out for myself!