Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Asked and Answered

 There have been some comments lately that deserve an answer, and I think this might be a ghood time to talk about them.

On the blog post about the dash cam, Alan asks:

I'vebeen looking for a simply dashcam since my last one died. What brand and model do you have?

Thanks for the question, Alan.  I've been using it for a couple of weeks and it has issues.  Not insurmountable issues, but I'm not ready to endorse it.   It's an el-cheapo from Wal Mart.  It does okay, but your mileage may cary.

Next, we turn to a question from Howard on the post about the hogs.

Probably a dumb question but what happens to all that meat. Is it commercially processed or just for the group that goes with the club. Sorry but the accent is so strong I don’t know if the guy says in the video. All the hog butchering I have had to do with there has been a lot of stress about sticking to get them bled out. Obviously that is not possible with a .22 group shoot?

I understand that he gives that meat away.  If a family wants a hog, he gives it to them.  He calls it Feeding Families, or something.

About "sticking" the hogs.  In Cajun culture we have something called a boucherie, which is a hog killing.  Generally, the hogs are shot with a .22 rifle, then immediately strucg up on a single-tree and bled.  Obviously, a hog trapper in north Mississippi can't do that, because he doesn't want to taint his killing ground. But, from the dozen or so videos I've watched, he tries to make sure that the protein goes to someone who wants it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some states have rules to follow for sale of wild hog meat, I presume most don't, since most prohibit the sale of wild meat (deer, etc)

Howard Brewi said...

Thanks, I’m glad people are getting the meat. What you described is the way I have butchered hogs. Haven’t raised any lately because baby pigs have gone to $175 last time I checked here in Alaska!

Anonymous said...

Here in East TN theres a lot of vulture food....
I hear you can make sausage if you like it spicy. Pepperoni. Italian style sausage ain't quite strong enough to knock back the game taste I'm told. There is very little fat on them, so no bacon or tender cuts. Sausage needs beef fat added (usually the case anyways). I know some guys use it for dog food. Meats meat pilgrim. I store a lot of spices in my preps. I know the day is coming....

Anonymous said...

I know that Texas has HUNTERS FOR THE HUNGRY, a group dedicated to distributing venison (game animal meat) to various food banks and other organizations dedicated to feeding those in need. I think the meat is required to be at least quartered but I may be mistaken.

Also, be aware that some butcher shops refuse to process feral hog meat, due to regulations and possible meat contamination of farm raised meat. Just be sure and ask if processing is required by the hunter.

All of our big game is iced down for at least week prior to processing, replacing the ice at least every 48 hours. Since we began that, meat taste has been improved markedly.

Thanks for the opportunity for clarification sir.

Anonymous said...

Good to know about the ice!!!

Anonymous said...

I've always understood that "gamey" taste is from meat poorly handled and going bad, so prompt cooling and keeping it cool makes a big difference.
I've never had an issue, but almost all of my hunting has been cold weather.