Friday, June 28, 2013

Holsters

For the past three decades I've been carrying holsters on a belt.  Sometimes plain clothes, sometime in a uniform assignment. but I own several holsters.  Like many of my readers I've got a box of holsters that for one reason or another, simply didn't work.  Other folks told me that they'd be great for my purposes, but they simply didn't work for me.

For the last four years I've been using a Safariland Model 6360 ALS holster on my duty rig.  This is a strongside belt holster that the user can modify for Level III or Level IV, depending on the individual preference.  I prefer to carry mine as a level III holster, simply because I don't like that little guard that makes it a level IV.

It's a great duty holster, but recently I began casting about for a plainclothes holster with many of the same attributes.  So, I naturally started looking at Safariland.  Sure enough, I found a holster that meets my criteria, the Safariland 6377.  It's a belt holster, fitted for my 1911, and I like it a lot.  It protects the weapon, it is very secure, and it seems to be the best blend of economy and security for a belt holster.  It's also very fast.  When you tap the thumb catch, the pistol comes out of the holster very easily.

So, I started looking around for that same holster for my Smith and Wesson M&P 45.  Sure enough, they make one, but they also make a paddle version.  I've never used a paddle holster, but the Model 6378 comes with the belt loops too, in case I want to change the paddle for belt loops.  Also the price was very good, at under $40.00.

 I found it at Cops Plus, a vendor I've never used.  While I was making my order, I happened to notice the handy drop-down menu and found that the holster was also made for a Smith and Wesson J-frame, along with models for several dozen other handguns.  Very cool.  I love J-frames, so I ordered one of those too.

As a bonus, Cops Plus shipped very quickly.  I made the order at 11:00 local.  By 1:30 p.m., I had a tracking number for shipping.  That's quick.  Good prices, fast shipping, quality products.  Hopefully, FedEx will do its thing quickly.  I'll review the holsters when they come in.

No comments: