Wednesday, February 08, 2012

At the Gun Store

I went into the gun store today to order a rifle. A Savage Axis, left-hand, in .308 Winchester. I had printed a page from Savage's website and took it with me, so there would be no confusion. The counter guys started looking in catalogs, surfing their computers, and making phone calls trying to find one. No joy. One distributor told them that they haven't seen any and wonders if Savage is making them yet? Good question, but it's a catalog item.

I told the guy I wanted to special order it, to find me one, and put it on layaway. I wrote him a check for a deposit. I don't need it tomorrow, but I would like to get it in the next couple of months. It is on layaway, after all. Still, you'd think that the distributors would know when they'd be available.

I recall a problem I had several years ago finding a couple of rifles. I wanted a Handi-rifle in .30-30 and had to wait 6 months for it. It took nearly a year to find a Marlin 1894C in .357 magnum.

2 comments:

Phil K said...

I feel your pain - I once ordered a 28ga BPS and paid the whole price in advance. Took 27 months to arrive at the store. I had almost forgotten about it when they called me.

El Capitan said...

Had any luck with Gunbroker?