Monday, June 12, 2006

Range Day report

Anytime you can shoot someone else's ammo, it is a good day, and I burned some ammo today.

Qualified first with my duty pistol, a Kimber .45 ACP. While the second order was on the line, I stapled up some more targets then wandered out to the line with the third order and qualified with my backup, a SW Mod 60. It's been two years since I qualified with that revolver and it felt good to post a good score with it.

Then it was time to shoot the shotgun, and I did my duty there. The rangemaster commented on my target, a simple "good target", which is high praise indeed.

About the time we were through with the shotgun, everyone was released and the rangemaster said that anyone who had a rifle could qualify with it. Another old cop had an extra AR, so I borrowed it and walked out to the line. We fired that course and took the targets in for scoring while we policed brass. I heard my Captain saying that I haven't been through the patrol rifle course with this department, so I shouldn't have been shooting the rifle. The rangemaster told him that even without the course, I had cleaned the target and that I should be left the hell alone.

So, today, I got a "Good Target" from the rangemaster, and cleaned the rifle course. I also shot a couple of hundred rounds of someone else's pistol ammo. It was a good day indeed.

Tomorrow is defensive tactics and unarmed self-defense.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo Zulu!