Monday, June 19, 2006

Helmets and Motorcycles

Tamara is talking about motorcycle helmets. I love my motorcycle and I ride it every chance I get.

I put on a helmet each and every time I ride. Whether it is for five minutes or five hours, I am going to be wearing a helmet if I am on the bike.

I carry an extra helmet on the bike, just in case I have to give someone a ride. Back in my single days, someone would want a ride on the bike, but say they didn't need a helmet. You don't get on my bike without a helmet. Period. That just doesn't happen. I have broken a helmet in a crash. My head hit the pavement and the sound was like a rifle shot going off in my ear. My first thought was "Damn, that would have hurt." I have no doubt that if I hadn't been wearing a helmet that day, I would have been killed.

That said, I don't think that the government should mandate helmets for motorcycle riders. When you get your endorsement, you should be required to sign a release that if injured, you will not burden society at any government health agency or apply for benefits based on your disabling injury. No SSI, no public health agency.

For the same reasons, I don't think that government should mandate the use of seat belts in autos. If you want to kill yourself, do it on your own dime. Make every driver sign a release. If they don't sign it, they don't get to drive. Very simple.

While I'm at it, I don't think I should have to get a permit to build a building on land that I own. If I screw up and diminish my land value, then it is on me. If I screw up and diminish my neighbor's land value, then let them sue me. Let local govt zone a section, certainly, but don't tell me I need a permit to remodel or add an outbuilding.

Helmets for motorcycle riders and seat belts in cars are simply nannyism at its worst.

4 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

I agree that it's not for them to decide, and that I always wear one on my dirtbike - they're good for keeping sticks and branches out of your face. That being said, on a dirtbike proper boots are as essential as a helmet, and the peg-height that will break open your leg is right where some boots casual workboots leave-off. Steel toes are not enough, and because steel can deform it can cut - so it's not even advisable.

Anonymous said...

I agree once you are a "legal adult",(18 ?). Until then, I have no problem with a law protecting minors from thier stupidity or thier parents lack of responsibility.
Dennis

Anonymous said...

2006 J.D. Power and Associates Motorcyle helmet study results.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/motorcycle_helmet/index.asp

RTBD said...

Involved in very serious m/c accident Helmet and God saved my life. insurance companies should give additional discount to riders who state they will wear a crash helmet. Increase premiums on those who say they want the freedom to choose The price of freedom is not free. They should automatically become organ donors cause they will probably be dead in the event of a serious accident.