Friday, June 09, 2006

96 GL1500 problems

My bike is a 96 GL1500 Goldwing. Steady, reliable, comfortable. The Goldwing motorcycle set new standards when it rolled off the factory floor in 1976 and continues to set standards today. I love my Goldwing, and with something over 150K miles on it, I figure I have another three or four years before it is time to trade.

The bike has been sure-fire reliable since I got it. In those 150 thousand miles, it only has needed a new alternator, tires, bulbs and other routine maintenance. Till recently. I was driving home one afternoon and braked at a stop sign. The engine died. I started it again and continued home. The engine continued to die when I applied the brakes. It brought me home, but not without a bunch of perplexed cussing.

I broke it down this afternoon and traced the problem to a faulty relay in the brake light circuit. I piddled with it a little while and got the problem resolved temporarily. Of course, my Honda dealership was closed at 5:30 when I called to see if they have the relay I need. I'll call them tomorrow, but I can almost guarantee that they'll have to order the relay. They are closed, of course, on Monday, so it will be Tuesday at the soonest, probably Wednesday before the relay is in.

Pawpaw is discontent when his motorcycle is sick. That old Honda out there is my magical carpet ride, guaranteed to melt the stress away whenever I need it. I can ride it right now, but I can't trust it until that relay is fixed properly.

There are very few things sadder than having a sick motorcycle.

No comments: