Friday, June 16, 2006

Honda Motorcycle Parts

My scooter is still broken and I need parts. Electrical parts. A friggin relay.

A 12 volt, 20 amp relay to be precise. I went to my local Honda dealer and asked about a relay. The parts guy looked in the computer, had me point to it on a screen, then wandered into the back of the store. In a few minutes, he came out and told me that they were $30.00 apiece, and they had to order them. They'd get them in a week. (Next Thursday).

I asked about a friggin valve stem. They ain't got that either.

I asked about a body screw. A 5 X 17 metric screw that holds the cowling on. Nope, gotta order it. Takes a week to come in.

I have been a customer of this store since 1996. I have never walked up to the parts counter and bought a part I need. You gotta order it. It'll be in next week.

I talked to the General Manager, who basically told me I was screwed. Not kissed, just screwed.

I called Honda Customer service, who basically told me Tough Shit. That's the protocol nowadays. It doesn't matter what you need, it takes a week. The Honda guy told me that sometimes they have to order the part from Japan. Yeah, right. The bikes are made here in the United States and we have to order parts from Japan.

Is it just me, or is it too much to ask that a dealer stock little things like valve stems? The customer with a broken motorcycle has to wait a week for parts, any parts. That sucks.

**Update** I went yesterday to NAPA, Advance, Bumper-to-Bumper, and two local stores looking for that relay. Nope, Honda is the only place to get them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did the guy have to walk into "the back" to find out he didn't have the part if they have to order "every" part?

Ask them what they DO have back there.

Flintlock Tom

Anonymous said...

Pawpaw, check your local NAPA store. You might get a surprise. Take the old relay with you.

Rivrdog said...

I was going to say check your local marine parts place. A 20 amp 12VDC relay is a fairly common marine application, and the marine one will probably last longer.

For the screw, try a specialty fastener place.

A tire place ought to be able to order the valve stem, and if not, a pneu-draulics shop probably has ome around.

Anonymous said...

Hey, just followed over from your comment on Tam's blog.
If you're always gonna be waiting for the parts ANYWAY, why not give some of the online dealers a try? I've used BikeBandit.com several times for parts. They have all the parts diagrams online, and way more stock then most dealerships.

Honda ATV Parts said...

Yes, there are sometimes happens that some parts of Honda might not be available at local stores and they have to order from the Japan. So, the customer has to wait for the week.