Thursday, September 10, 2020

Project Update

 The generator is unboxed, assembled, ad running.  For the record, Belle bought this oe from Amazon at the height of the storm.  We were talking about buying a generator, and discussing options, and she clicked on her phone and said, "It'll be here in a week or so."  When it is time to make a decision, Belle doesn't mess around.

Termite mentioned in comments that I should consider a lockout switch to prevent backfeeding electrical current into the grid.  He's right, of course, and I'll have to research that.  Probably b going to my local electrical supply and see what is available under our electrical codes.

Then, it's just a matter of contacting one of my retired electrician friends and seeing how much beer it's going to take to get the job done.

3 comments:

Retired cop said...

Be thinking security and ease of access. When I got my first one, I kept it in the back of the garage. I had heard about generators being targets so I was ready.
Along comes a major ice storm, everyone is out of power. I set mine up in my garage (minus the car). Generator chained in garage to heavy object (2 spare tires and wheels), garage door locked down with 2" gap at bottom, a water pipe rigged to vent exhaust gasses outside, rear garage window open for cross ventilation.
A nearby shelf had supplies to do multiple oil/filter/spark plug changes.
Fresh fans of fuel stored outside, not in garage.I

That plus a good firewood supply kept us and some neighbors warm, kids entertained, and fed ( we did have gas stove) for 24 days until power was restored.

Btw, permanent or semi permanent wiring connections are vastly superior to just running extension cords.

Retired Cop

Termite said...

"....it's just a matter of contacting one of my retired electrician friends and seeing how much beer it's going to take to get the job done."

Hey,

Jane cooks a mean chicken-fried steak with gravy, too!!

John in Philly said...

After the break-in is done, use synthetic oil to bet better protection for the engine.

And I'm thinking you already know about fuel stabilizers and rotation of fuel.