Tuesday, September 01, 2020

Laura Recovery Update

 To give an idea of the devastation,  a copy/paste from my second son's facebook page.  He works for a small town in Grant parish as a water system operator, keeping clean water flowing and dirty water flowing.  But, he does other things as well.

My guys and I did some more storm cleanup  today, and finally got every road opened up in the town of Pollock.   So at least now you can drive on every street.  When we were finishing for the day, I stopped to talk to a tree clearing crew that clears rightaways for cleco.  These poor souls were from north Idaho,  and were melting.  I asked where they were staying, and he said some "Man camp" down the road.  I asked how many hrs they work a day, and he said normally 16.  I know a few of the Cleco hands, and they are out there just about around the clock.  When I left Pollock this afternoon, there wasn't anyone in town with power, but they are there working on it.  There are countless crews, from around here, and out of state, busting their ass every day to try to get power restored.  So please be patient with them.  Also, a huge thankyou to Mrs Debra Budrow Mrs Judy Sweat Shelton, and Michelle Dezendorf Bordelon for keeping us fed when we couldn't go get lunch.  We will be back at it bright and early tomorrow morning.

The storm hit Thursday morning, and five days after the wind quit blowing, many people are still without power.  cres from as far away as Idaho are here helping us restore power.  It's a Herculean effort with several hundred crews (and over 6000 individuals) helping us.

Belle's office does not yet have internet or phone service, but they do have power.  Just because the storm is over does not mean that the damage is repaired or that life is coming back to normal. 

Life gets a little bit more normal every day.


1 comment:

Bob said...

Hello, PawPaw, been reading your blog for a while now. I am not a commenter much, but when you mentioned Pollock Louisiana I perked up. I have been living in Baton Rouge for a while now , But my earliest childhood memories are living in Ball Louisiana, and after parents moved away I spent many summer vacations at grand parents house in Dry Prong Louisiana. Granddad also had a fish camp at lake Iatte (not sure about spelling, it was between Dry Prong and Colfax. I can remember walking in the newly built muddy dam walls when they made the lake shadowing behind my Granddad. That kinda dates me. I miss Granddad he taught me a lot especially having been through the Depression. He always said to pay attention because it is going to happen again. Glad to hear all is well. I had noticed on other blogs, discussions/concern about your absence so your are appreciated.