Tuesday, September 08, 2020

No Big Deal

 Last night, I slipped and fell at the church.  Not really a big deal, but I stuck my finger into a door hinge on the way down, and crushed it pretty badly.  Walked outside holding my bloody finger and fainted.  I wasn't out fifteen seconds, but when I came-to, Belle had called an ambulance. Embarrassing.

First trip in an ambulance.  Got to the hospital, they ran a bunch of tests, couldn't find anything wrong except my finger, and stitched it up.  I'm fine, really.  I got shocky and fainted.

Typing with nine fingers is weird.  Lots of back-spacing and spell-checking.

The big issue today is a water leak I can't find.  According to the meter, I've used 14,000 gallons since the meter was last read on 08/14,  That is about three times as much water as we normally use.  Can't find a leaky faucet, a running commode, or a wet spot in the yard.  I'm losing about 10,000 gallons a month, and I'm baffled.

I have an expert coming by later and we'll try to figure it out.

**UPFATE** We found it.  I had a toilet leaking that I couldn't hear, but my son could hear it.  This particular son is a Level III Water operator  He runs a municipal water system..

I didn't knnow how much water a leaking toilet would use.  From Google:

Since the water flows down the sewer, leaking toilets don't necessarily leave any signs of a leak, until you get the bill. The average leaky toilet can waste about 200 gallons of water per day. That's over 6,000 gallons a month ($70.06*) for just one leaking toilet!

Tomorrow, I'll re-plumb that toilet.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Do you have one of those "smart" water meters? The ones that the water utility can read from their office?
We had a horrendous electrical bill two months ago and the electrical utility said it was a faulty smart meter on our electric pole. They replaced it and now the bill is "normal".

John in Philly said...

I think your spell checker changed the very manly "passed out" to "fainted." No doubt you missed it because of the nine digit typing. :)

If I remember the numbers correctly, the 13,000 gallons of water needed to fill the pool costs around 90 dollars in Philly.

Be very aware that bumping the healing finger against a non-moving hard object can cause pain beyond the pain of the original injury.
I now take much more care using wood working tools, and I was fortunate to only get the tip of one finger a bit gnawed on.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your injury - it wasn't your trigger finger, was it ?

I'm a CAD draftman and after I had torn my rotator cuff, the doctor recommended that the arm be slung and left alone for two weeks. So I operated the computer mouse and typed with wrong hand - that was annoying !!

Water leaks (and forgots - I forgot I left the water on in the yard) are expensive. One overnight rear lawn watering cost us $40 that month and that was when I turned it off after only 9 hours. Glad you found your water bill fix so quickly.

les1 said...

A smashed finger will do that.