Saturday, August 13, 2016

New Boots

Boots are a constant fixture in a cop's life.  We wear them every day, and a good pair of boots is a vital necessity.  With all the rain we've been having in Louisiana this week, I started thinking about a set of new boots.

I've been wearing black lace-up boots since I went in the Army.  I remember, as a young officer, the only boot that mattered was the Corcoran Jump boot.  Everyone wore them.  Down at the PX, they were about $60.00, or a tenth of a months pay, but if you wanted to look good, you wore Corcorans.  You can still buy them today.  And, of course, I've also worn Jungle boots.  For years, it was Jungle boots for the field, Corcorans for garrison.

But, I'm past the stage of wearing Corcorans.  I got over that a long time ago.  Nowadays I want a side zipper, and I want comfort.  (Yeah, I know that you can get Corcorans with a zipper, but that's just heresy.)  I also want Gore-Tex.

So, while I was out working Milady's list today, I stopped by my favorite boot tore to see what they had in stock.  Bates!  I like Bates boots.  I've been wearing their boots for years.  They're comfortable, and the Gore-Tex keeps my feet dry when I step in a puddle.  I walked out with a pair of these.

Once I finally retire from police work, I doubt I'll ever buy another pair of black boots.  I'm tired of them, but in the meantime, I'll wear Bates.  They keep my feet dry.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

I'm glad Bates work for you... I can't get a pair that are comfortable for the life of me. Sigh... Belleville are about the only ones that are actually comfortable to me.

Old 1811 said...

I love Bates boots. I retired from LE almost ten years ago and I still wear them. Part of the reason is that an old foot injury makes it impossible for me to wear low-cut shoes (pressure on my instep causes a lot of pain), so for me it's either boots or Crocs. I go with the side zippers for convenience. The side zipper makes them almost as quick to get on or off as slippers.