Saturday, November 03, 2012

Game Camera Pics

I keep a trail camera near my feeder, to see what's using it and as an adjunct to my enjoyment of the outdoors.  It's a lot of fun to look at the pictures and try to better understand  what species are enjoying the bounty of the feed I provide.  Yes, of course I use the feeder to attract whitetail deer, but it's fun to know that other species are making use of the feed that the feeder scatters about on the ground.  For example, this guy.

In that picture it's easy to identify the species, a big ole fat raccoon, taken at about 2:00 a.m..  Then, there's pictures that aren't so easy to identify, although I didn't have much problem with this species.

That is the back of a hog, a smallish rooter that probably weighs about 60 pounds.  We haven't seen hogs in the trail camera pics for several years, but it looks like this invasive species is making a comeback around our lease.  We have one iron-clad rule on the lease, if you see a hog, shoot it.  If this one comes out during a hunt, I'll be duty bound to send a bullet toward it.   But still, it's fun to go pull the SD card every week or so and take a look at what's using the feeder.

1 comment:

MSgt B said...

Mobile bacon!