Thursday, February 02, 2006

Enough already

I see Jimmy Carter is back in the news, with some idealogical (actually idea-illogical) thoughts on Palestine.

From CNN:
"If you sponsor an election or promote democracy and freedom around the world, then when people make their own decision about their leaders, I think that all the governments should recognize that administration and let them form their government," Carter said.
Oh, I agree.

We should recognize Hamas for what it is: a terrorist organization. I think that all governments and free people everywhere should recognize that fact. But Jimmy goes farther;
"If there are prohibitions -- like, for instance, in the United States, against giving any money to a government that is controlled by Hamas -- then the United States could channel the same amount of money to the Palestinian people through the United Nations, through the refugee fund, through UNICEF, things of that kind," he added.
This is where we differ.

For starters, the government of the United States doesn't have any money. That money is taken from people like me in the form of taxes. I don't want my tax money going to governments that are not our allies. (Actually, I'd prefer my tax money be spent at home, on things we need, but that is another rant entirely.) The people of Palestine (whatever that is) elected the terrorists of Hamas, in what looks like a democratic election. They made their choice, let them live with it.

I'm sorry that they don't have any money of their own. They made their bed, let them sleep in it. I have made choices in my lifetime that I have deeply regretted. I think that the Paleitinian people will soon regret the choice of governments, but that doesn't mean we should subsidize their bad choices.

Oh! And Jimmy Carter should go back to building houses for poor folks. It is the one thing he is good at.

1 comment:

Kelly(Mom of 6) said...

Don't you just kind of cringe every time he opens his mouth? I know I do.