Monday, October 22, 2012

Mulligan Stew

It's been a while since I talked about Mulligan Stew, and today it flung a craving on me.  This is a hearty campfire stew from my younger days, taught to me by my Dad and my Uncle Eddie, who would whip up a Mulligan anytime we were in the woods on a cool night.


The whole recipe is here, but it's a simple, easy stew that even boys can make with just a little coaching.  Basically, you peel and dice six potatoes, brown a pound of bacon, then set it aside to drain.  Add some flour to the bacon grease to make a peanut-butter roux, then add water, potatoes, and the crumbled bacon. Salt and pepper to taste. Let it simmer until the potatoes are tender. Stir it often, the potatoes want to stick. You can  serve it over rice or bread.  Either one works fine.

It's a great little recipe, either for the campfire or for the homestead.  Cheap, filling, and very savory.  Mulligan stew.  It's what's for supper.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

It's great over rice! :-)

Rivrdog said...

I thought the whole idea of Mulligan Stew is that it has no recipe - you use some fat, some meat, some starch and veggies are optional. Yes, you have to be able to make a roux, but it's no more complex than that.