Saturday, September 01, 2012

Choices

That last post about my old writings got me to remembering, and I remembered a piece that I wrote in the mid '90s.  It was originally submitted to a newspaper and was published as a guest writer piece.  Later I reworked it and published it on Castbullet.  When we edited the piece we realized it needed some artwork, so  we asked my son to do a scene with guys sitting around a campfire.

It's a story about hunting and the choices we make when we're all alone in the woods.  I've moved it over to my server to preserve it there and you can read it, either at Castbullet or on my site.

Enjoy.    Choices.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Memories of my first deer hunt in North Dakota when I was in the USAF. Had that doe tag in my coat pocket. I walked around a brush blocking the path along the tree line I was walking, and about 30 yards away was the most beautiful buck I've ever seen. I thought how easy it would be to take him, drag him to my truck about 100 yards back, and no one would be the wiser.

Nope. Couldn't do it. Didn't even raise my rifle. The two of us just stared at each other for about 30 seconds until he walked away.

I got my doe the next weekend.