Monday, September 17, 2012

The .950 JDJ

Because I'm ready for some silliness, I give you the .950 JDJ.  The rifle itself was made by SSK Industries and the carbine version weighs 50 lbs.  Yeah, that's right.  50 lbs.

The cartridge throws a 2400 grain bullet, using 240 grains of very slow powder.  The bullet generates 25,400 ft/lbs of muzzle energy and the other end generates 277 ft/lbs of recoil energy.  Just as a metric toward a normal rifle, my.30-06 generates about 27 ft/lbs of recoil energy.  So, touching the trigger on this thing is like my -06 times ten.  Each round costs about $40.00 to produce and I bet that it could be a fine cast-bullet rifle as the muzzle velocity is only about 2100 fps.



I'll pass, thank you very much.  I can't imagine a 50 lb carbine.  If you listen to the video, current rifles in this caliber weigh over 100 lbs.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Me neither, I like my shoulder right where it is! :-)

Termite said...

Just the thing for shooting for those recently cloned T-rexs.