Sunday, November 06, 2011

Weight Watchers

In July I consulted with my physician and he told me that I was getting older and fatter and I'd have more problems with weight if I didn't lose some of it. So, I talked with Milady, who is a Registered Nurse and the Font of all Wisdom in health related matters. She agreed with my Doc, and we cast about for the best regimen for an old fat man to follow.

We settled on Weight Watchers, and I've been following it online religiously, watching what I eat and trying to step up my physical activity. When I began this program I weighed 100 lbs more than my recommended weight, which I take with a grain of salt. (Yeah, right. 156 lbs.. in Yemen, maybe).

But, the plan seems to be working. I've lost 10% of my body mass and the inches are coming off, slowly but surely. About 1.5-2.0 lbs per week. Some weeks I screw up and gain a pound, but that only makes me redouble my efforts. I just now set a new goal, the first one having been met. I'll be svelte and sleek in another year, if I don't get run over by a garbage truck before then.

This is the first time I've blogged about the program, and it will probably be the last. Once you get in the habit of logging what you eat, it starts to make sense why you're gaining weight, and if you lie about it to the computer, you're only lying to yourself. Some of the actual food values are hard to find, especially the regional dishes, (try finding some of the stuff that a Cajun eats on a generic food chart). Still, it's doable.

If you're looking for a relatively painless weight loss plan, take a look at Weight Watchers. I'm a convert.

No comments: