Friday, November 11, 2011

Talking about Scopes

Like many of us, I use rifle scopes. Yeah, I use iron sights too, but the current practice in the US uses rifle scopes on deer rifles. Many rifles don't come with iron sights these days, so you've got to install something. A scope is the easy choice. However, when you're faced with a bewildering selection of rifle glass, it's hard to make up your mind.

Dave Petzal talks about the Trijicon Accupoint. Several years ago a member of our lease bought two of these on sale at Gander Mountain. Paid $500.00 apiece for them. Loves the scope. I was able to look through it while he was showing it to the members. It looks like a fine scope. However, I don't have $500.00 to spend on rifle glass. So, let's talk about lower end scopes that I really like.

The Weaver Buck Commander rifle scope is one that I picked up this summer, looking for glass to put on a short-action Savage. Midway has it for $189.00 and I really like that little scope. It's got finger adjustable turrets that reset to a zero with no tools required. I haven't used it hunting yet, but I really like it on the range. Very precise crosshairs and a thick duplex that should be just fine in the early morning. It seems to be a fine little scope.

The Redfield line is back, and this summer my son was looking for a scope for his .30-06. We went to Academy and looked at several scopes, he picked this one. American made, lifetime warranty, and you can find them for about $200.00. That's hard to beat.

If you want something with a little higher power range, take a look at the Simmons Whitetail Classic. This is a 20-power variable that performs all out past its price point. Seriously. (yeah, yeah, I know what you've heard about Simmons.) I've got one on a .243, and my second son has one on a heavy barreled 7mm magnum. It's held up well for five years, very accurate, and you can check your pulse in the reticle. Midway USA has it on sale right now for $109.00, which is a hell of a deal. It's a lot of scope, and ours haven't given us anything but fine service and small holes, way out there.

Another sleeper in the high-magnification market is the Swift Optics line. My family likes the 6X18 model and we've probably got a half-dozen of these things on as many rifles. My copy is mounted on a .223 right now, but my younger son has one mounted on a heavy .308, and my brother-in-law has three, one on a custom .260, one on a heavy barreled 7mm-08, and one on a beanfield .270. They've all given great service.

Last, but certainly not least, is probably the simplest scope in the lineup. It's been a standard for years, and it's what's mounted on my favorite .30-06. The Weaver K6. Simple, rugged, plenty of magnification, no knobs, dials, bells, or whistles. You set it and forget it. When that buck of a lifetime shows up, you simply put the crosshairs on the target, squeeze the trigger, and go get your buck. I use this scope out to 300 yards, simply because I don't have any range longer than that at my disposal, but I've never had a problem hitting a reasonable target with this scope.

You don't have to spend a lot of money on a rifle scope, unless you want to spend it. If you're on a budget and bewildered at the choices, all these scopes are PawPaw approved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review, sir! 'm not a hunter, but Termite might need this information some day! While I would never presume to tell a man of your "caliber" anything about weaponry, I would like to suggest a way you could increase your blog viewers! Go ahead and include the names of the scopes you reviewed in your key words. Also add "rifle scopes", "affordable scopes", and you'll be amazed at the folks that find you. And if they're shopping for a scope, your review will be very useful to them!! And if the websites that you link to have activated "alerts", they will get an alert to your blog and that could lead to all sorts of opportunities for you! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I have Leupold, Burris, Weaver, Simmons and Tasco scopes on various
rifles around here.
They all seem to work fine but my Leupold 2-7, which is on my favorite deer rifle, seems like the best of the lot to me.