Saturday, November 26, 2011

Compromise

Driving back from the deer lease this morning, I learned that the NBA owners and players have probably struck a deal so that there will be an NBA season this year. The first thing I thought was that I should get some tags. I've never shot an NBA.

Then I realized that the station was talking about basketball, and I tuned them out. No one with a brain gives a damn about basketball. Little boys play it in the winter when it's too cold to go outside, and girls play it. It's a silly little game, and one without a lot of class. I certainly don't see any class in the professional players, unless we're talking about the criminal class. I don't watch it, don't care to follow it, and damn sure don't go to the games. I go to the occasional high-school game, but when I do, I'm in uniform.

Basketball is even more mindless than soccer, but at least soccer is played outside int he weather. They're both silly games that girls play. Neither should be considered a sport.

5 comments:

Bob@thenest said...

I remember decades ago when I watched actual talent on the basketball court. Passing and dribbling were done with finesse and the team didn't consist of Jolly Green Giants who shouldn't miss a basket if they were blindfolded. The idea was to score without body contact, relying instead on actual talent.

That unfortunately evolved into a sport of mugging on the hardwood.

I haven't watched it in years.

Gerry N. said...

Wow, I thought I was the only person who thought basketball and soccer were wastes of time. I've gone to one pro basketball game, several hours and about a hundred bucks I'll never get back, and seen a bit of soccer on teevee. Won't need to spend any time on either again. I feel pretty much the same about pro football and baseball. I'd much rather go camping and fishing or hunting.

MSgt B said...

There is only one sport.

Football.

There is only one Football.

Redskins football.

'nuff said.

Pawpaw said...

I tend to agree with Hemingway, who said “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” The only human activity I'd add to Hemingway's list would be dangerous game hunting.

Termie said...

Pro basketball has de-evolved into "My gangstas can beat your gangstas."