Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Boiling Bones

I'm boiling turkey bones for stock. Thanksgiving is always at Momma's house up the road, but we decided several years ago to host a pre-Thanksgiving supper at our house so Momma wouldn't have to cook the evening meal for the horde. Tonight, I'm cooking a gumbo, a big ole turkey gumbo, with country sausage and lots of onions, bell peppers and celery.

I bought a couple of smoked turkeys from the high school; one of the clubs smokes turkeys and sells them as a fund raiser. At any rate, I've peeled the meat from two turkeys and the carcasses are in a stock pot, rendering to stock. I've already made a huge roux. In another hour or so, I'll start slicing sausage. The family will start assembling this afternoon and we'll eat at 6:00. I'll feed probably 40 people this evening.

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

5 comments:

Termite said...

Smoked turkey gumbo? Yummmmmm.....

Termite said...

BTW,

The LDWF range at Woodworth will be closed Thursday and Friday.

Rivrdog said...

Any turkey carcasses we generate go into the big pot and get reduced for Old Fashioned Turkey Soup, my late mother's recipe. She served it with egg noodles in it, but I use barley, sometimes medium-grain Japanese rice.

Our standard family T-Day run here is to sis-in-law's place. She cooks the bird, we do some sides and pies, so there's no carcass for us.

I looked at the counter-top turkey fryer for this year, but the makers lie about it when they say it will do a 20# bird. Best you can hope for is about 12#. Seems to me, it would work better if you cut up the turkey and fried the pieces...I didn't get one...we're short enough on counter space as it is.

Old NFO said...

Same to you Sir!

Dave O. said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!