Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Boucheron

 The boucheron (no, not the luxury perfume fragrance) is a style of knife introduced by French traders during the 17th century fur trade on the North American continent.  It was commonly traded along the frontier. It's a simple knife, generally of half-tang or full-tang construction. It's a simple design, perfectly suitable for skinning a beaver, or cutting up camp meat. It is not a fighting knife, although it could be pressed into service in times of melee.


I happen to own one, forged by my son in a smithy several years ago. It has imperfections which suit me right down to my toes, and I think those imperfections lend credence to the fact that it was designed to be  a camp knife.  I use it regularly, as today it is still useful for slicing meat or chopping onions as it was 400 years ago.  Mine has a 6" blade, perfectly suitable for the kitchen, or for wearing on a belt.

In another hour, I'll use it to cut up some sausage in preparation for our lunch.  I have some shrimp and some sausage we need to cook, and on a cool, rainy day, a shrimp gumbo seems like just the cure.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

OH yeah! Great looking knife too!

Anonymous said...

It looks like a large roachbelly pattern knife. I like it too ! That is a great gift from your son.

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

That is a fine looking cutting tool!

I know that you have many precision measuring tools since you reload.

Pray tell, how thick is the steel along the spine of that blade?