Monday, January 15, 2024

Beef Stew

 Why not beef stew today? The weather is cold and my belly could use some warmth.  I cut up a small beef roast, and peeled some potatoes and carrots.  Diced an onion. Browned that beef in a little oil, then sweated the onion with the beef.  Took that out, added flour to make a roux. Added beef stock for the gravy, then added the taters and carrots.  Put that on a slow simmer so the flavors could meld and the veggies cook.


Closer to lunch, I'll put on a pot of rice.

8 comments:

juvat said...

Looks good. Hope all is well over there. Cold as all get out here, but so far so good.

Anonymous said...

Man, stew and cold weather go together like peas and carrots. Good menu choice ! I like some warmed up French bread with my stewed meals.

Judy said...

Beef stew—that brings up memories of my mom and dad disagreeing on whether or not she made a hearty beef soup or stew. Dad maintained that if it had tomatoes and was not thickened with gravy, it wasn't stew.  culinarily, whatever she made, it was really good, and none of us backed away from it.

Anonymous said...

Now we're talking!
I'll be by about 1 O'clock with some cornbread!

Anonymous said...

Needs some cathead biscuits.

Old NFO said...

Now I'm hungry...sigh

zdogk9 said...

And now I know what I'm cooking this afternoon.

glasslass said...

I had finished browning my meat and putting it in the crock pot with beef base. Took a break and there you were with beef stew. But mine came with cat head biscuits.