Friday, November 16, 2018

White Women Trying To Look Black

A friend and I were discussing this earlier this week, ad I started to post on it.  Rachel Dolezal, for  example.  A woman who is white, trying to be black, or Indian (our lily-white senator from Massachusetts, for example).  There seems to be some cachet these days to be anything but white.  And I don't understand it. 

I thought that perhaps my own perceptions were seeing something that wasn't really there.  But, evidently, I"m not the only one who is noticing it.  Ann Althouse, for example.
"In a trend that is not new or surprising, white women seem to be adopting the features of black women on social media in their quest..." "... to develop themselves as models and influencers. 
I remember a time when light-skinned black women would attempt to pass themselves as white, assuming that some sort of advantage would flow from it.  I don't know.   The whole thing confuses me, mainly because we're supposed to be i post-racial America, the great melting-pot of the world, and rankly I don't care what color anyone is.  At this stage of my education, I tend to judge people, but I judge them more by the content of their character than by the color of their skin.  I just don't care  what color someone might be.

I'm not sure if that education came from my time in Natchitoches, which has a vibrant, Creole community, and I had friends and associates of every hue, or if it came from my time in the Army, where I depended on every color and gender of soldier, and the only thing that mattered was professionalism and performance..

The whole thing confuses the crap out of me, and it's Friday ad time for my afternoon whiskey.

No comments: