Tuesday, November 13, 2018

The End of PBR

Pabst Blue Ribbon is a beer I remember well.  It was the brew of choice for my old friend Junior and he always had a six pack in his fridge.  I understand that nowadays it's a hipster beer (and one of the low-end bargain beers.  But, it had a following, but now it's in a lawsuit with MillerCoors over production capacity.  It seems that MillerCoors is brewing Pabst beer.
MILWAUKEE — Pabst Brewing Company and MillerCoors are going to trial, with hipster favorite Pabst contending that MillerCoors wants to put it out of business by ending a longstanding partnership through which it brews Pabst’s beers.
I know that nowadays it is fashionable to get into partnerships or for a strong company to buy a competitor outright, but it seems to me that if you're a major player, it's not a good idea to let a competitor control your production capacity.

But, the brewing industry is just like every other industry.  Beers come and beers go.  Who remembers Schlitz, Falstaff, or Pearl?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO66BLGlpgM

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

Schlitz draft was good stuff, almost like an ale.

Falstaff was known locally as "fall flat". Also known as "BEER" as they brewed the generic "BEER" when generic black-on-white packaging was the thing.

kamas716 said...

Grainbelt was big up here. My Grandpa had a bunch of signs and paraphenalia with the logo on it when he owned a bar. I was watching an old football game on youtube the other day and they had a bunch of commercials for Schaefer Beer. I tried some once, and it wasn't for me. I remember my parents drinking PBR and Old Milwaukee when I was a kid.

blog said...

FortKnox Personal Firewall
I am very impressed with your post because this post is very beneficial for me.