Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Cooking tomorrow.

It's Thanksgiving and as usual, I'm cooking tomorrow.  We divided up the side dishes and every kid is bringing something, and I'm on the hook for the bird.  No problem.  We invited a recent widower, a great friend of the family, and he donated a turducken, which is a turkey, stuffed with a duck and a hen.  It has some kind of dressing in there, and I'll put it in the oven tomorrow morning.  I've never cooked a turducken, but the instructions are pretty easy.  Bake it at 350 for four hours,   The last hour take the "tent" off to let it brown.  We'll use a meat thermometer to make sure it's done before carving

He also donated two stuffed hens.  I was looking at them earlier, and they are boneless hens, stuffed with a jalapeno baked potato.  Sounds spicy!  I recon I'll crank up the smoker in the morning and put those birds in there.  Let 'em smoke for several hours, until they get limp.

It's going to be great and the clan is going to show up here  for the noon meal.    Belle and I are taking off Friday, lounging around and being worthless.  Maybe there will be enough leftovers to keep us sustained.  Saturday, I'm cooking a gumbo for the club  We'll shoot in the afternoon the have some fellowship.

Y'all have a great Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the smoker is going to be involved. Same here in Billings, MT. Turkey breast only because it's just me and my daughter. She gets to make the pumpkin cheese cakes.

Gary W. Anthony
MSgt, Ret.

Anonymous said...

My son-in-law fixed a turducken once. He seemed to think it was good. I thought it was greasy and sucked. Maybe he did not know how to fix it. Entirely possible.