Friday, November 30, 2018

Cleaning Cast Iron

Evidently, there is a resurgence of cast iron cooking going on.  People looking for the old ways, and  using the old tools.  That's taken me by surprise because cast iron is my go-to cooking implement and has been for my entire life.  Between Belle and I, we probably have two dozen or more pieces, from small skillets to large dutch ovens. 

But, there is a fellow on the intertubes who is putting out good information.  Kent Rollins out of southwest Oklahoma is a cowboy cook, and he has the experience to talk with some level of e expertise.



I may not necessarily agree with everything he has to say, but I tip my hat to his knowledge.  I've enjoyed watching many of his videos and he might inspire me to make some short cooking videos of my own.  Kent specializes in cowboy cooking, and there is a whole wealth of Cajun cooking that fits right in with cast iron, We've been cooking with cast iron for decades, and there are some really easy one-pot meals that are staples of Cajun cookery.

If yo like Kent's stuff (and I do), flip on over to his channel.  One fo the things Kent turned me on to was Field cast iron, a fairly new US manufacturer.  Evidently, the Field stuff is made like the old Griswold or Wagner cookware.  After Christmas, I may be tempted to buy one of their #10 skillets.  It's kind of pricey, but good cast iron is a generational investment.

We'll see.

1 comment:

DaveS said...

I learned about a few new companies making cast iron cookware from watching Kent Rollins. Give Stargazer cast iron a look as well. I like it even more than the Field stuff.