Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Beer, In Comments

Kamas Kid says:
Grainbelt was big up here. My Grandpa had a bunch of signs and paraphenalia with the logo on it when he owned a bar. I was watching an old football game on youtube the other day and they had a bunch of commercials for Schaefer Beer. I tried some once, and it wasn't for me. I remember my parents drinking PBR and Old Milwaukee when I was a kid.
In early 1976 I moved to Fort Knox, KY to attend the basic course for armored officers.  I remember Shaefer beer.  It was available at the Class 6 store for $16.00 a keg.  Shaefer was the beer that was served at company parties.I have helped to float several kegs of Shaefer beer.  One beer that I always thought tasted like stale horse-piss was Blatz (the fire-brewed beer).  But, my father-in-law, a Cajun, came up to visit us ad fell in love with it.  He took a couple of cases home and insisted that I bring it to him when I came home on leave.  I never understood his affection for that beer.

Old Milwaukee was the beer of choice when I was in high school and early college.  There was a local store, The Pak-N-Sak that sold it for $1.00 a six pack, or $4.00 a case.  Back in those days, it was legal to drink at age 18, and in places in Louisiana, the age limit was very flexible.  I'm pretty sure that the Pak-N-Sak was selling us "skunked" beer, but with Old Milwaukee,  it's hard to tell.

When I was at Riley, Coors was unavailable in Louisiana, but in Kansas, it was everywhere.  For some reason, it was not sold east of Texarkana.  My Dad loved Coors and I had standing orders to bring him four cases whenever I came home on leave.  As soon as Coors became available in Louisiana, he switched to Budweiser.  Go figure

5 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I'm one Colorado man who will not drink Coors. During the Depression, knowing prohibition wouldn't last, Adolph Coors built huge (for the times) new facilities on the cheap with desperate men. One wheelbarrow of concrete at a time pushed up ramps by a man who was paid anywhere for a penny to a dime depending on how high they were working built the new facilities. I had family involved. A great uncle told me a man working his guts out might make enough in a day to feed his family.

Some of my younger cousins and their kids may drink it but I never will.

Jerry The Geek said...

I remember back in the 1960's when I was working with my father on a job (as a very young kid), he suggested to a co-worker who intended to go get a six-pack of beer for the brew that he "Buy Oly ... Nobody Doesn't Like Oly" (Olympia Beer, brewed in Washington).

I've since tried to drink the stuff, and to my taste, it was weak and watery. But that's just me ... I'm a Whiskey Drinker by preference, and as such I'm a bad judge of beer.

I thought nobody makes Olympia Beer any more, but I guess I was wrong. http://olympia-beer.com/

Anonymous said...

My Dad drank either Piels of Scmidts. Couldn't stand either. In college I drank quite a bit of Coors. One day someone gave me some Meisterbrau which sat in the fridge for a while, I came home from work on a hot summer day and a cold beer seemed a good idea, the only thing I had was the Meisterbrau, popped a can, took one slug, and dumped the rest down the drain.

Then there's my experience with Naragansettt......

Mark D

OC said...

I'm pretty sure Schlitz is still being sold up here in MN.

Ryan said...

It hasn’t been made in Oly for a long time but the label exists and they make it somewhere else. Sort of like Rainier.

Also the long dormant brewery had a fire recently.