Wednesday, January 18, 2012

SOPA and PIPA

If there were ever two examples of misguided government over-reach, SOPA and PIPA might head the list. These two pieces of pending legislation are heralded by the big media concerns. The RIAA, among others, are supporting this legislation as a way to stop online piracy. The simple fact is that the legislation will not stop piracy and will do irreparable harm to a free and open internet.

I have a website and I'm a copyright holder. I certainly don't support online piracy, but I don't want my website shut down in the event that one of my commenters happens to post copyrighted material on my site. This is bad legislation and unless we get involved, it might pass into law.

I spent some time today, contacting my Congress-critters. I sent emails to "Dumbass" Rodney Alexander, and to "Katrina" Mary Landrieu. I tried to email "Diaper" Dave Vitter, but his email was down, so I called his satellite office locally. The staffer there told me that he was painfully aware of the issues, that his email was clogged and that the phones are ringing off the hook.

If you haven't yet, call your Congress-critters. This is important.

UPDATED. Via Hot Air, we learn that Chris Dodd, a former senator and an executive at the Motion Picture Associaton of America (MPAA) thinks that we're complaining unfairly about SOPA.
It is an irresponsible response and a disservice to people who rely on them for information and use their services. It is also an abuse of power given the freedoms these companies enjoy in the marketplace today. It’s a dangerous and troubling development when the platforms that serve as gateways to information intentionally skew the facts to incite their users in order to further their corporate interests.
It's interesting to note that when Dodd was a senator, he was listed as one of the most corrupt in the halls of Congress. Really? Most corrupt? That's a high bar for Congressmen.

Just for the record, I should remind ex-Senator, now-shill Dodd that I'm not a corporate interest and I still oppose the legislation.

Call your Congress-critters. This is important.

No comments: