Sunday, January 08, 2012

Rodger's Italian Beef

I'm known to plunder around the internet, looking for interesting things and one of the blogs I read regularly is Rodgers Curmudgeonly and Skeptical. It's a fun blog with occasional bits of interesting news, commentary, and recipes. Just before Christmas I saw this recipe for Italian Beef, and while I'm a pretty good backyard cook, I've never dabbled much in Italian cooking other than the odd pot of spaghetti. However, Rodger made this recipe look so appetizing that I had to try it.

What's not to love about this sandwich?


Doesn't that look luscious? I thought you'd agree. So, I went out and bought the ingredients. I've never been one for using much parsley or basil, and who would think to boil a good beef roast in Italian dressing? Still, I like to expand my horizons, so I tried it. Put it in the slow cooker last night. When I awoke this morning, the house was filled with the aroma of beefy wonderful.

Rodger's Italian Beef

Ingredients:
3 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 bay leaf
1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style
salad dressing mix
1 (5 pound) rump roast

Directions:
1. Combine water with salt, ground black pepper, oregano, basil, onion salt, parsley, garlic powder, bay leaf, and salad dressing mix in a saucepan. Stir well, and bring to a boil.
2. Place roast in slow cooker, and pour salad dressing mixture over the meat.
3. Cover, and cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours, or on High for 4 to 5 hours. When done, remove bay leaf, and shred meat with a fork.
After 10 hours in the slow cooker, the beef is falling apart. I sampled just a taste and the flavor is incredible.


What's not to love about easy, tasty recipes?

2 comments:

MSgt B said...

Does the young lady in the bikini show up when it's time to eat?

I've got to try that recipe...

Gerry N. said...

What sandwich?