Monday, June 27, 2011

Range Day

My boys and I took off this morning to go to the range. We had scheduled the day at the Sheriff's office range to use his 300 yard rifle benches. I forgot my camera at home, and pressed the little camera on my cell phone into service.


Looking downrange from the benches. You can see the 100 yard berm with four paper targets posted, the 200 yard berm with targets posted and if you look way down in the treeline, you can just make out the 300 yard berm.


Here's youngest son Joey working his mil-dots on the 300 yard targets. He was trying to decide which mil-dot to use at the varying ranges. He finally got it figured out and shot a 1.5 inch 3-shot group at 300 yards. That Savage rifle can shoot.


Second son Matthew trying his brother's Security Six on the pistol lanes. Matt's not much of a pistol shooter, preferring his heavy barreled Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag. Matt shot some fine targets with that rifle today. They have a half-size silhouette at the 300 yard line and Matt shot it several time. Once he got the scope dialed in, he was deadly with it.


Joey and Elder son Barrett watching Matt shoot the revolver. I imagine that I personally fired less than 10 rounds this morning. Once I had fired the Ugly Rifle at the 300 yard steel target and heard the plong of bullet hitting steel, I was very happy to spot for the boys while they shot. It was a beautiful morning to be on the range and any day is a good day to spend shooting with my sons.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Day on the range- Check, day with kids- Check... sounds like a WIN to me! :-)

Rivrdog said...

Nice of your Shire-Reeve to let his Deputies use the range with their families. It's been over 30 years since that happened around HERE.

Pawpaw said...

It's better than that, Rivrdog. We were using what is called the Citizen's range. It's open from 8:30 to 4:30 Tuesday through Friday for anyone who wants to use it. It's used for CCW classes, it's used for Hunter safety, it's used for special events. It features 25 yard handgun, 300 yard rifle, and a five-stand course that's currently under renovation. My sons and I were able to schedule it for a Monday, just like a Special Event, but we had to wait until the grounds crew finished mowing.