Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Retrainer Day Two

Retrainer day two is over. Range day. This morning we qualified with the handgun and the shotgun. The handgun we use is the Smith and Wesson M&P 45. Some like it, some don't. I'm not crazy about it because I don't shoot it well. I never had any trouble qualifying with my revolvers or my 1911 Kimber, but two years ago the Sheriff issued us the Smith autos and I've been struggling to qualify with it. Oh, I qualified, but not with the scores I'd like.

I know that I need more trigger time with that pistol and that's something I've got to make time for. It's important that I shoot that pistol as accurately as I can and I've just got to learn to deal with that trigger.

The shotgun, on the other hand, was a real eye-opener. Shotgun qualification, while not difficult, is fairly random, as you have to deal with buckshot patterns. Until today. We used the Federal Premium ammo with the Flite Control wad, and the performance of that shell is magnificent. Even at 25 yards, all nine buckshot were hitting the target in a pattern of about 6 inches. If you were putting the bead on the center-mass of the target, you were blowing a big hole through the center of it. Qualifications in this state is 12 rounds, two slug and 10 buckshot. They count the holes in the target and with 9 pellets per shell and 2 slugs that comes to a possible 92 points. Lots of folks were qualifying in the high 80s

That Federal shotgun ammo is some good stuff.

Tomorrow is day three, the shoot house. It's time to run and gun.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

I'll have to try that Federal shot. I can't shoot those damn M&Ps they just don't point right for me.

plblark said...

Apex tactical's Hard sear is a worthwhile investment. Their carry/duty action kit is a good combo. I have not yet tried their RAM trigger reset kit but am contemplating it.

Captcha: Preess the trigger Reeeel slow :-)