Sunday, August 19, 2012

Those Hornadys

I couldn't stand it after most of the family left today following our normal Sunday lunch, so elder grandson and I went to Momma's and tried the Marlin 1894 against the targets. It looks like the little rifle is grouping into about 4 inches. We were resting over the hood of the pickup truck and when we got bored with shooting at paper, we turned the front sight bead on the steel targets.  We took turns shooting and it is very easy to hit the 9" plates at 100 yards.

The six inch plate is a little more problematic, but it seems that the rifle is shooting a tad to the left, and I didn't have any screwdrivers to adjust the Williams FP sight I've got on that rifle.  I'll have to fine-tune the sights, but I'm confident that I can hit a 9" plate at 100 yards with iron sights and an improvised rest.

I haven't shot that little rifle as much as I should, it doesn't even have a carry strap on it.  I need to get much more familiar with it, but I'm relieved that it smacks those gongs with as much authority as it does.  I'm sure that it would smack anything made of bone and meat with the same authority.

No pictures, as my cell phone decided to crap-out because I forgot to charge the battery, but the little rifle performed flawlessly and the ammo fed, fired and extracted with no problems.  Plus, and this is a very big plus, I got to spend an hour shooting with my eldest grandson.  That in itself was worth the trip.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Sounds like a winner all the way around! AND an excuse to go back to the range! :-)