Thursday, August 16, 2012

On Rights

I'm seeing a lot on a right to health care, and I'm one of those sorts that believes that the Founding Fathers listed a lot of enumerated rights and then put the Ninth Amendment in the Constitution to talk about unenumerated rights. So, do you have a right to health care?

Sure you do. Just like I have a right to arm myself. Health care is a basic human need, just like the right to self-defense. I can buy a gun to protect myself and my family if I've got the money to pay for it. I can also go to a doctor as long as I make arrangement to pay my bill. I buy insurance to help with these things.

The problem comes when you expect me to pay for your health care.  There is no right to FREE health care, and that's what the health care freaks are yammering about.  They want it free.

When they are ready to talk about free guns and ammunition, I might be ready to talk about free health care.  Until then, they can buy insurance, just like everybody else.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Well said Sir!

Melissa said...

I don't care about free, I just wish healthcare was affordable. Having spent the better part of a decade without health insurance, I continue to listen to the conversation with great interest. Something for nothing is certainly not fair and I agree with you there. But working your tail off in contract work, food service and other positions without benefits to earn a living makes one appreciate the ability to obtain insurance at a reasonable rate (i.e. not half of your monthly income for a private policy that *may* cover an illness). I wish there was a "sliding scale" payment angle to the healthcare discussion, but I haven't heard anything like that yet.

Gerry N. said...

The way to "affordable" health care is to vote for conservatives, not rat bastard commies like Obumfuk. The thing that killed affordable health care was Roosevelt's wage freeze in WWII, To get competent employees and keep them employers provided health insurance instead of wage hikes. After the war it got completely out of hand, and here we are. FDR should be burning in Hell for the things he did.