Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Deer Season

I see that the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries have set the 2012-13 deer seasons.  Here in Area 2, we get a 78 day regular season, 14 days of primitive firearms, and archery runs for five months.

I also note with some enthusiasm that our high school doesn't have a home football game scheduled for the opener of the centerfire firearm season.  This is the first time in three years that I'll be off that weekend, and I'm hyped about it.  Now, I can make plans and I'll guaran-damn-tee you that I'll be in the woods on the morning of October 27, 2012.

There has also been a change in the weapons allowed for the primitive weapons season.  From the webpage
2. Single shot, breech loading rifles, .35 caliber or larger having an exposed hammer that uses metallic cartridges loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder. All of the above may be fitted with magnified scopes.
From that general designation, it appears that H&R Handi-rifles in .35 caliber are now legal for the primitive firearms season. Interesting

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need to buy something single-shot in a .35" or greater calibre. Isn't Artcic Tom selling a Ruger No 1 in .45-'70? US$100 off for GC members. I'd be tempted...

Denis

El Capitan said...

I'm pretty sure Ruger #1s have internal hammers...

Man, I hate being an old stick-in-the-mud, but I'd love to see "primitive weapons" redefined as "muzzle loading rifles ignited via either flint or percussion cap with an exposed side-mounted hammer, using BP or Pyrodex".

IMHO, inline muzzle-loaders, falling blocks, and break-actions need to be used in centerfire season. I'm even a bit leery of scoping a primitive weapon, unless it's one of those 4' long brass tubes...

Pawpaw said...

Yeah, Rugers have internal hammers, but I've got a Handi in .45-70 that has sufficed in the past. I concur that primitive weapons should use loose powder and ball, exposed hammers, and iron sights. I happen to have a Thompson/Center Renegade in .54 cal that I shot for many years. With a charge of 90 grains of Ffg and a patched round ball, it accounted for it's share of our whitetails.

Anonymous said...

Oops. My mistake - I thought Ruger no 1's had exposed hammers. Your T/C sounds just fine!

Denis