Sunday, October 04, 2009

Who cares?

I guess I oughta talk about this, but I'm told that the Olympics are going to Rio. Good for them.

Personally, I don't care. The Olympics are a side-show of politics played in the venue of a sporting competition. They're fun to watch on TV and the gold medalists should rightfully be lauded for excellence, but in the long run, they really don't change anything.

I don't take any joy from our President being handed his ass after making the pitch for the Olympics to come to Chicago. No joy at all. I do wonder what he was thinking. The Olympics is supposed to be about excellence, transcend politics, and honor the athlete. They're supposed to be games. Who cares where they're played?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Olympics are one of the most corrupt organizations on the planet. Teh Won just got outplayed by real pros. One more bright note, the taxpayers of Chicago and Illinois dodged a serious bullet.

Gerry N.

Rich Jordan said...

I live close enough to chi-pit that I kept track of the stories. There was a metric buttload of corruption already pre-loaded in anticipation of the olympics coming here. Friends of Daley and machine hacks owning property that would suddenly become valuable, lots of union-only contracts to be let to the political supporters, millions of dollars to leach off to the connected, etc.

I'm glad they didn't come, even though there would have been massive improvements to a local shooting club that would have hosted those competitions.