Saturday, October 31, 2009

Today's Hunt

The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
Gang aft agley,
An'lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

Robert Burns


It didn't work out just like I planned, so I can take some comfort from Robert Burns poem. However, today wasn't a total loss. This morning dawned with a heavy fog, so heavy I couldn't see a hundred yards.



The weather stayed foggy until after 9:00. Looking for tracks, some deer had walked across a cleared area behind my stand. Whether they were moving during the dark early morning hours or in the fog, we'll never know, but the tracks plainly showed that they crossed that opening sometime after the rain finished at about midnight.

The rest of the day was absolutely gorgeous and I spent most of the rest of it looking at this.



But, no joy! I was in the woods all day, spending most of it alone with only myself for company and my thoughts for distraction. In everything except the game not cooperating, it was a magnificent day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We need those moments...when you are still... with only your thoughts to occupy yourself. I'm glad you had this day. Frannie

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love hunting in the fog. Everything is so quiet, footfalls seem to be as on carpet.

Here in WA we don't use blinds or hunt from tree stands, it just not the standard here. I hunker under a spruce or cedar tree for half an hour, then slowly move a hundred yards to another. Or simply stand in the edge of the woods and very slowly move a step or two every five or ten minutes. The fog covers any soiunds I might make and the air hardly moves.

Good times,

Gerry N.

Rivrdog said...

...Even better times considering that the clearing you're in has an oil pipeline running under it, with the lifeblood of the nation pulsing under your feet, and even if the dumb half of the country says they don't want it, they need it.