Saturday, October 03, 2009

More survival rations

Bob says in comments:
MANY years ago I'd eat a can, maybe even two, of Vienna Sausages sitting/waiting in a pirogue or in a blind, but there is no way in the world I'll have a bunch of them for emergency rations. That would be far over my limit. :-)


Ha! I understand completely. I love vennie weenies and I'll eat them at any turn. My big drawback is potted meat. For years I carried a small tin of potted meat in my hunting bag. When I'd get hungry, I'd take that tin out of my pocket, read the ingredients thoroughly, decide I wasn't hungry, and put it back in my pocket. I carried that tin of potted meat long after the label had disintegrated.

Imagine my surprise when, eight years ago, I met my bride. She loves potted meat, keeps cans of it in the cupboard. She'll slather it on bread to make a sandwich or eat it on crackers. When she's doing that I try to suppress the gag reflex.

She, however, cannot abide vienna sausage. The grandkids and I love them.

That's why they make both kinds, I guess.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ditto here for the potted meat crap. My mom loved the stuff, but I couldn't gag it down at gunpoint.
Spam, on the other hand is one of my favorites. Imagine my delight to find that Wally World's Great Value luncheon meat is rebadged Spam at a buck a can less. My local chain drugstore, Bartell's has had good quality canned sardines for 69 cents a small can for several weeks. I've ratholed about 30 bucks worth in a few weeks. I love 'em mixed with mayo and a spoonful of hot dog relish, then put into sandwiches or on crackers. I'm pretty lucky in that I like more cheap food than I dislike. Sometimes I'll step over a filet mignon to get to a tuna-noodle casserole.

One of the blessed things about this nation is the unbelievable variety of foodstuffs available to us at prices the rest of the world can only dream about.

So far. We'll see what the Obamunists do about that.

Gerry N.

Old NFO said...

Vienna Sausages forever!!! :-) I hate that potted meat too.

Bob@thenest said...

Had potted meat sandwiches during early school days. Lots of 'em.

First year of college I read a book about slaughter houses and how potted meat was made. Quite detailed. Think I upchucked all the early school days' sandwiches at that point. None since.

USAF barracks roomie used to mix potted meat and BBQ sauce. Made a hole in the middle and poured a bit in, stirred, ate from the can.

I left the room.

In a WHOLE diffrent world, there's those 10 stuffed chickens I brought back from N.O. two weeks ago...shrimp, crawfish, pork, cornbread, rice... 2 down, 8 to go. Hah!