Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Pack like a Seal.

Not the fur bearing creature, the Navy warrior.

Dave Petzal talks about packing for a hunting trip and recommends the Navy Seal mantra: Two is one, one is none. Dave recommends packing two of everything that might make or break your trip.

Good advise if you're jet-setting around the world. I wouldn't know, I don't jet-set.

I get in the pickup truck and run down the road. Most of us do. If I get into the woods and I've forgotten something, too bad. Forgot my ammo? I'll watch game until I get tired, then I'll take a nap. Forgot my lunch? I'll go hungry, or go to the diner in town. Batteries on my camera run out of power? No pictures today.

I'm an Eagle Scout and I understand the mantra Be Prepared. I also know that most of us carry way more stuff than we need. Dave recommends carrying a spare rifle scope. Heck, some of us don't use rifle scopes.

Hunting is supposed to be enjoyable and I try to make it so. I pack a good lunch, extra batteries for my camera, and I put a magazine in the hunting bag along with a thermos of coffee.

It's not a military mission.

5 comments:

jon spencer said...

The two things that I carry at least doubled up to the blind are candy bars and books.
Any thing else I can live without.

Anonymous said...

From the time I first had the wherewithal to instal glass on my hunting rifle, doubling up meant having the iron sights zeroed and a Swiss Army Knife in my pocket so I could dismount the scope from the mount.

These days I hunt with a caplock muzzleloader with iron sights only. Doubling up means a few extra balls and a capper with some caps in it with the two Snickers in my hunting pouch. A strip of greased patching is tied to the strap of my powder horn.

Gerry N.

Old NFO said...

Good post, but a little over the top... I DO pack extra batteries, ammo, backup compass, back up knife, fire starter, small first aid kit, toilet paper, and a mylar blanket anytime I'm not within easy walking distance of my vehicle or camp. I should probably carry "less" food, as I need to lose a few pounds... sigh...

J said...

You won't see this ol' boy in the woods without a first aid kit which contains coagulant powder. Blood thinners and briars don't mix.....

Rivrdog said...

Since getting a deer bag, hoist, saw and all that in the pockets is not doable, I carried a light backpack, but all the stuff I actually used hunting went into the pockets of my field coat.

Lessee....

Ten rounds of ammo for the Savage 99, two pints of water, about 10 paper towels, folded, pocket survival kit (fire starting, mostly), and several Landtjaeger sausages. Rubber bands to snap around everything that rattled or jingled.

Nowadays, I'd probably add a GPS and cell phone (or FRS), all of which would be switched off until I needed them. The woods are full of yahoos, so I would carry a light sidearm as well.

Duck hunting was more of a packing exercise, since you're almost always wet and have to prepare for that, and the deeks are a ringtail SOB to haul overland to a blind.