Monday, October 26, 2009

Tam's right

Tam says that the loaded chamber indicator is the dumbest thing they've ever put on a pistol.
Its very existence betrays a bad mindset to have around guns, which is the idea that "This one's loaded, so I'll treat it with extra special caution!" The problem is thinking that way implies the unwritten corollary that "I don't think this one's loaded, so I can handle it sloppily," which almost unfailingly comes back to bite the unwary in the arse and leave bullet holes in things better left unpunctured.
As usual, she's right.

1. All guns are always loaded.

1 comment:

Rivrdog said...

Oh, I dunno, PawPaw. One of my first (and still most beloved) pistols was my dad's prewar Walther PP. It has a loaded chamber indicator, and even though I always carry with the chamber loaded, know that the chamber is loaded, I still like the idea of having the LCI.

Maybe Tam has fallen into the trap of thinking that there will never be a time that she will have to hand off one of her carry guns.

If the SHTF, that time will come, and the LCI may very well help the person who gets that gun use it properly and survive the SHTF situation.

I agree with Tam that making them mandatory is idiotic, as are most design restrictions, but if you have it, there are good points also.

An example of a good point with LCIs is that they tend to stick when the pistol gets dirty, then giving you a definite clue that you need to clean the weapon.