Sunday, October 05, 2008

Range Sunday

I went to the range today to verify zero on my Savage 110 in .30-06. This rifle sports a Weaver 6X fixed power scope and will be my primary hunting rifle for the fall. When I got to the range at about 1:00, it was virtually empty. By the time I left at 3:00, it was full, with folks standing along the back bench waiting for a spot on the shooting line.

In the .30-06 I'm shooting a reload that consists of R-P brass, 60 grains of Reloder 22, and a 165 grain boat-tail spitzer bullet with Winchester Large Rifle primers. This load gives me an average velocity of 2773 fps with a standard deviation of 11 fps. My ballistics program shows me that if it's sighted 3 inches high at 100 yards, it'll be 2 inches high at 200 yards and four inches down at 300 yards. Not to worry, there's no way I'll shoot any game animal at 300 yards.

I verified the zero on that rifle and it's still giving me 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards with my indifferent bench technique. This is a very good hunting combination and I'd feel confident with that rifle and ammo anywhere on the North American continent.

I also took out the new .45-70 Handi rifle and fired it with two BPCR loads. Both of these loads shoot very well in my Sharps, but in this rifle, those loads shoot like a shotgun. I'm getting groups with both loads in the neighborhood of 6" at 60 yards, and the group is centered about 6" above the point of aim. I have fitted the rifle with a Williams WGRS peep sight and the front sight is now too high. I'll have to call Williams tomorrow and ask them what type sight they recommend. They'll probably recommend a ramp and firesight.

I came home and cleaned rifles, then washed the dishes in the sink and cleaned the .45-70 brass. The cumulative effect of about 20 rounds of full-house 30-06 and twenty rounds of full-house 45-70 have given me a bit of a headache.

I think I'll have a wee dram for the headache and start getting ready for work tomorrow.

No comments: