Tuesday, August 01, 2023

Public Records

 Every state has a public records law of some sort.  Louisiana's public records law can be found at R.S. 44.32.  It lays out the duty of a custodian of public records to make them available for examination. The law says that the custodian can make no inquiries of the person except for their name and age.  Why one wants the records are not important.  What is important is that public records be made available for examination.

I went to the City of Pineville this morning, one of the smaller offices, and made an inquiry.  First, I was asked why I needed to know that information and when I demurred, they told me that those records are confidential.   The law says in past:

The custodian shall make no inquiry of any person who applies for a public record, except an inquiry as to the age and identification of the person and may require the person to sign a register and shall not review, examine, or scrutinize any copy, photograph, or memoranda in the possession of any such person;

I left without making a scene.  Evidently those functionaries have not been trained in the Louisiana Public Records law.   I will see what I can do about correcting that deficiency.

5 comments:

DaveS said...

There's a lot of truth to the old saying about Cooler Heads Prevailing. Some might think that it's about cooler heads walking away from a fight, I think it's about fighting without the curtain of rage obscuring important details during the fight.

Go Get'em!

Termite said...

Interesting.

Anonymous said...

I like your tack. Good point.
Yeah, I'm more of the 'cause a scene' kinda guy who would remind those functionaries who precisely pays their salary.
I'm certain that would go well. Yup, certain.

BobF said...

Curious. Your request for info is recorded by register -- is that request also considered public record and therefore available to anyone who might want to know who is inquiring about what?

BobF said...

Curious. Your request for info is recorded by register -- is that request also considered public record and therefore available to anyone who might want to know who is inquiring about what?