Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Closing Out

 I was watching the news this morning, and I heard someone in the bar business complaining about the Gen Z crowd.  It seems that they close their bar tab after every round.  I admit I was baffled.  They close the tab after every round?  Quelle horreur! 

When I was a young man, and started hanging out in bars, honky-tonks, and juke joints, it was a cash business.  If you asked for a beer, the bartender would give you one, then ask for $2.  Every time.  I don't go to bars like I used to, but even today if I walk into a bar, I use cash, and pay for each drink as it comes.

It sounds to me like the complaint is more that the bartender doesn't like running the credit card machine after every round. That is the nature of modern business.  Lots of things have changed over the years, but it's nothing that a return to cash wouldn't solve.  Now that I think about it, there is lots of things that a return to cash would solve.

4 comments:

WI Jason said...

In Wisconsin, you put a $20 bill on the bar, the bartender makes change and puts it back on the bar. This continues until you run short, you get another $20 and put it on the bar. No point getting your wallet out for every round, the money is just left on the bar and taken as needed.

Anonymous said...

They want to leave a paper trail proving that during such and such hours, they were out getting sloshed at such-and-such business, which was just before the accident...and said business will have proof on camera.
And if they bought anyone else a drinky, they could be held culpable if that bone-head has an accident.

Old NFO said...

Also kids running out on tabs... sigh

Dave O. said...

Nothing makes me dislike people…more than people.