Friday, June 15, 2018

The Cimarron SA Frontier

Last June, casting about for a nice little club revolver, I happened upon the Cimarron El Malo.  It's a very nice little revolver, and I talked about it here.  What impressed me about the El Malo was that it was very smooth, right out of the box.   Very smooth.  It balanced well, and I showed it to some of my club members who were looking for revolvers.  They liked it, especially the price point, which was less than other suitable revolvers.

But, in March, the CFDA made the revolver illegal to use in sanctioned competitions, simply because the El Malo has an octagonal barrel.  The rules are the rules, and the octagonal barrel was banned on Colt clones, because we are unable to find any Colt revolver of the period that was manufactured with an octagonal barrel.  Hence, they are not  "faithful reproductions" for purposes of CFDA sanctioned competition.

I put a call to Cimarron, and asked if they made a revolver revolver identical to the El Malo, but with a round barrel.  The rep at Cimarron told me that they did have such a revolver, the PP410, that they market as the SA Frontier.    But, he told me, they were out-of-stock, and until they had sufficient orders, they wouldn't b making any.  I admit that I was perplexed, because the El Malo is mad by Pitta, and in fact, I wasn't aware that Cimarron made any firearms.

Still, I've been checking my go-to firearms dealer for the Cimarron PP410.  It's legal for comptetion, and while I fight the rules about octagon barrels on 1873 clones, it would be nice to have a leal revolver for my club members to evaluate.  My go-to dealer is grabagun.com and I"ve been checking them for the Cimarron PP410, which they tell me is the El Malo with a round barrel.  Lo and behold, they finally have them in stock, so I ordered two of them as club guns.



Hopefully, they'll be in next week, and I can show them to the club members who like the El Malo.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Nice find!