Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Wait... Wut? End Chivalry?

One male feminist in the news is... wait,... what?  A male feminist?
…the idea that women should be cherished and put on pedestals fosters what’s known as benevolent sexism, which subtly demeans women as fragile and less competent. It reinforces a sexual script in which a man takes charge while a woman remains passive.
He doesn't know any real women, evidently.  Strong, independent, capable women who deserve to be cherished.  Women who understand the difference between men (real men) and the women they love. I try every day to show my lady that she is cherished; the center of my world.

As a corollary to that idea, I try to extend that courtesy to all women.  I'll hold the door, I'll stand aside to let them pass, and I'll be as courteous as I can be.  That's what men do, or should do.  Strong, capable, independent women (such as the ones who fill my world), don't need the door held for them, but they've earned the right to be cherished.  Simple courtesy is never demeaning.

I would remind the reader that chivalry is a cultural system that requires standards of conduct for both men and women. 

No comments: