Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Running Errands

Twenty five years ago, I bought a hitch system called Convert-A-Ball.  One shank and three hitch balls.  The balls were pinned to the shaft and to change balls, all you needed was a small punch.  A small screwdriver, even a key would work.  I had three balls that fit that shaft, a 1 7/8, a 2", and a 2 5/16.  I kept the spare balls in the same bag that I keep my jack and jumper cables in the truck.  Yesterday I needed to move a trailer, and I seem to have misplaced my 1 7/8 ball.  Just Damn!  I've had that system for 25 years and suddenly one of the hitch balls goes missing.  Aggravating.

I spent the morning running around looking for a ball.  No joy, no cigar.  I guess I'll order it online.  However, I was at Academy Sports and they had .22 LR ammo in stock.  That's the first time I've seen .22LR on the shelves in about eight months.  Limit was two boxes, and I got both of mine.  Maybe the shortage is starting to diminish.  I can only hope so.

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

Oh that sucks... At least you still have two out of three. I had one of those and they whole damn mess disappeared...

Gerry N. said...

A couple of years ago I was whining about hitch balls and not being able to find mind due to son borrowing and "spacing out". That Christmas he bought me a three way draw bar from Harbor Freight. Problem solved. The balls are very difficult to disconnect and the assembly is too large to be easily misplaced. It lives under the jump seat in my pickup with the trailer wiring connectors and adaptors. There are very few trailers I cannot just plug into for running lights and turn signals.

Gerry N.

Anonymous said...

OK, somebody has to say it, so I will. Yes it really does suck when you find one of your balls missing. :-(

Rivrdog said...

The 1 7/8" is the most used of the lot. PawPaw, you probably loaned it out and don't remember. Happens to me occasionally.

Matt said...

It more like, "go often".