Monday, March 01, 2010

Monday rain

It rained all day long today, a big ole cold front pushing through the area.

After work I went to the pawn shop and put a payment on my layaway. They had a Ruger Blackhawk on the counter. It's a blue steel model, a convertible with the 9mm and .357 cylinders. 7.5 inch barrel. The blueing looked 100% on it. The little sign said it comes with the Ruger case. I've been wanting a .357 Blackhawk for a long time and I was certainly tempted.

I passed on it. I'm getting ready for a pistol match later this month. We host a pistol match a couple of times a year. This one's for Special Olympics and I intend to shoot in it. I've spent my "gun money" this month on brass and powder. If it's still in the case next month, I might put it on layaway, but there is no shortage of .357 magnum revolvers in my collection.

The match I'm shooting later this month is billed as a "service pistol" match. You can shoot just about any pistol that might be found on a police officer's belt, but they limit revolver barrels to 4 inches. I had planned to shoot my 6" Model 28 until I read the rules, so I got out my revolvers to see what would qualify.

There's my Model 66 with a 4" barrel, but I need to take it to a gunsmith. I know for certain that it hasn't been apart in 30 years. Oh, I've taken care of it, but it's got several dozen cases of ammo through it and lately it's gotten what the equestrians call "a little hitch in the giddy-up". When you're running it hard, the action hiccups occasionally. I don't know how else to describe it. So, until I get around to letting a smith look at it, it's off the duty roster.

Then I picked up my wife's Model 28-2. It's got a 4 inch barrel and the action on it is as smooth as butter. I asked her permission and she told me I could use it for the match, so this morning I ordered a holster and some speed loaders for it. I haven't fired it in several years, so when the holster gets here later this week, I'll take it to the range and get re-acquainted.

This match is for the kids and I don't care if I win anything or not. I simply hope not to embarrass myself. However, if the pistol shoots as smooth as it feels I might have to start taking it to the monthly community match.

3 comments:

J said...

I once owned a Blackhawk in 357 but traded it away. I couldn't hit a barn with it. 357 loads were WAY too loud, but 38 level loads were mild and easy and somehow never found the bullseye. At the same time my Blackhawk 30 carbine--later stolen--redefined "loud" with full bore loads but a beer can had no chance at all with me shooting that pistol. With light loads, it would put 6 rounds in one ragged hole at 30 yards.

J got mad again said...

PS: if anyone runs across a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine with a 44 mag steel grip frame installed on it, run the serial # through NCIC please.

Old NFO said...

Enjoy the shooting Paw, and shoot good for the kids!